Sadly, as expected by experts, the 2017 hurricane season is turning out to be busy and deadly. While responders and local officials along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast are still dealing with the cleanup from Harvey, Irma is barreling towards the Eastern seaboard and the Gulf Coast, picking up speed and strength with each day. No doubt the prospect of storm-driven flooding is once again on the minds of many!
Responding to these events and supporting responding the agencies is a crucial job for GIS professionals. Esri is supporting disaster response in many ways and has made available some useful educational resources to help the mapping professional who is working on flood related disaster response. Using the Map Series template format, GIS users can freely access this resource and learn from 4 map-based GIS lessons to help you prepare for a GIS response to flood-related disasters.
For additional support and information about the Esri disaster response program, we encourage you to seek out and share this fine resource and also, be sure to follow @esriDRP on Twitter.
Need Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online to support your response efforts?
For ArcGIS professionals charged with working on solutions to meet the demands being placed on them in this time of emergency and crisis, we are reminding you of some of the Tools and workflows that can help in these specific times and are at your disposal with Admin tools for ArcGIS Online (we will gladly make Pro available at no cost to emergency response workers – contact us):
- Tagging Users – tag users (and items) according to area, agency, and other important meta information
- Email users – reach all your users quickly and easily about important data issues and updates
- Create and Manage Groups – build and manage teams working on specific tasks
- Bulk invite users to groups – create groups and get working as teams fast
- Migrate content from one org to another (cloning)
- and much more
These workflows are commonly required in such times and can greatly reduce time and effort placed on the Administrator
- learn ArcGIS – Lessons
- More Esri Training
- Self-based E-Learning
- Esri Supporting and Helping Agencies Respond to #flooding Disaster – Get Access to Software and Data
- Tips for Supporting Emergency Response Efforts by GIS Admins with ArcGIS Online and Admin Tools