There’s no doubting that Esri Story Map technology is a powerful way to tell and share a story. Just this week, Esri has released another fabulous resource that looks at the state of the Nation’s infrastructure. In particular, the transportation infrastructure, and they look at how the system has fallen into a state of disrepair. The recent grade of D+ realized in the American Society of Civil Engineers 2017 Infrastructure Report Card was the inspiration for this story.
- In 2016, 47 percent of urban interstate vehicle miles traveled were over structurally deficient pavement
- The 10 worst trucking chokepoints for 2016 are displayed on the map. 1. Is Atlanta, 2 – New York, 3 – Chicago…
- Click on the map to see individual bridges
- Bridges ae scaled according to truck traffic and colored according to their structural status.
- Viewing rail bridges illuminates the fragility of the transportation system – one untimely bridge collapse could bring the regional rail system to a halt with few alternative routes.
- View the 50 busiest airports in the U.S. by total cargo landed.
The national infrastructure is particularly important to us, not only personally, but also a business. Many of the users of our apps like Admin Tools and Mapfolio are Government agencies and public utilities who maintain our infrastructure. Additionally, consult directly to a number of them to help with supporting web services, webmaps and other crucial technology components. Our newly launched UAV services division gathers aerial mapping of transportation corridors and other essential pieces of our infrastructure. The state of the country’s road networks, bridges, rail system and the like are extremely important to our company and to many of you we suspect.
Have you built or do you know of an awesome Story Map? Please do tell us about it.
- 10 Simple Steps to Build a Great Crowdsourced Story Map
- Webmaps Made Easy for the Real Estate Professional with Esri Story Maps